At Alencar Family Dentistry, we use dental fillings to restore cracked or broken teeth and teeth that have been worn down. To do this, we remove the decayed portion of the tooth and fill the area with dental fillings to restore the tooth’s functionality and ensure protection from infection and further decay.
One of the most widely used types of tooth-colored dental fillings nowadays is the composite filling. Read on to learn what composite fillings are as well as their main advantages.
What Is a Composite Filling?
Composite fillings are dental fillings made from a mix of materials like silica, glass, and quartz. They are a restorative dental procedure used for reinstating the function, structure, and integrity of a damaged or decayed tooth.
What Are the Advantages of Composite Tooth Fillings?
Composite dental fillings are a natural-looking and cost-effective solution for patients with tooth decay. Their main advantages are:
Composite fillings closely match the shade and color of your existing natural teeth. This makes them an ideal choice for fixing damage or decay issues in a discreet way.
Unlike traditional amalgam fillings, composite fillings are mercury-free.
- Not Affected By Temperature Changes
Metal fillings tend to contract or expand due to temperature changes. This can cause discomfort and cracks in your teeth.
Composite fillings are made from a resin-glass mixture that is not affected by temperature changes.
How Are Composite Fillings Placed?
The procedure of placing composite fillings is straightforward and each step is focused on preventing further decay.
The steps to place a composite filling are:
- Dr. Jayme A. Oliveira Filho will numb the affected area with a local anesthetic and then use a scraping instrument to remove the decayed tissue.
- After the decayed tissue is removed, Dr. O cleans all the bacteria and debris out of the space to prepare it for the filling.
- Then, he applies the tooth-colored composite resin in layers, hardening each layer with a special light.
- Once the curing process is complete on all layers, Dr. O will shape the composite resin, trim away any excess material, and polish it to finish the restoration.
Dr. Jayme A. Oliveira Filho at Alencar Family Dentistry can help you restore your shiny smile. Call us today at (757) 546-0301 to schedule your dental consultation and learn how composite fillings can help you do that.